Teacher Shopping Survey Offers Insights to Up Your Game this Back-to-School Season
How will you be getting the attention of teachers during the upcoming back-to-school shopping season? Do teachers represent a first-time market for your brand? Or are you looking for fresh ways to re-engage this key audience?
No matter what you’ve previously done – or not done – to reach the coveted market of K-12 teachers, now is the time to start strategizing about exclusive offer programs that will help you rise above the noise.
“The product or service gets me knocking, the final price of entry dictates whether I enter.”
– teacher feedback on importance of exclusive offers
Teacher Shopping Preferences
Our 4th Annual Survey on Teacher Shopping Preferences, conducted in partnership with Agile Education Marketing, surveyed nearly 700 K-12 teachers and educators from across the U.S. The results reveal their shopping habits, preferences, and what makes them keep coming back to certain brands for both personal and professional shopping needs.
Here’s a look inside the survey, with a few results that underscore the value of exclusive offers to help teachers save money and help brands drive loyalty:
- During the 2016-2017 school year, teachers in the U.S. spent 10.8% of their personal paychecks on classroom expenses – $468 on average
- When shopping for classroom materials, teachers are 96% more likely to purchase from a brand that offers a teacher discount online
- When shopping for personal items, teachers are 85% more likely to purchase from a company that offers a teacher discount online
- Only 39% of these teachers are currently enrolled in discount programs, down a full 20% from last year. This likely signals the need for simple verification that makes exclusive offers a seamless part of the brand experience.
- Word-of-mouth remains the number one way teachers hear about discounts: 71% reported hearing about teacher discounts from a friend or co-worker
Teachers feel valued by retailers that offer teacher discounts and academic pricing, and are more likely to shop with those brands. By using Instant Verification to stores.
Brands like that help teachers save money, and teachers are thankful for their help.