Client Success: Grizzly Industrial
Creating an Exclusive Military Appreciation Program
Since its inception in 1983, Grizzly Industrial, Inc. has grown into one of the largest machinery companies in the United States. They sell direct to the user, cutting out the dealer network, to oﬀer customers lower prices. Their products can be found in all sizes of shops from the large industrial production users to the smaller cabinet and machine shops.
Grizzly Industrial wanted to create a military appreciation program and offer limited-time discounts to active-duty military, veterans, and military retirees throughout the year. However, Grizzly Industrial needed to ensure that only qualified military customers could redeem their promotional offers.
Grizzly teamed up with SheerID to create a custom landing page that is hosted by SheerID. Throughout the year, Grizzly can contact SheerID to switch out limited-time oﬀers. With SheerID’s military veriﬁcation in place, only those who have served can take advantage of the special oﬀers. After a successful veriﬁcation, military customers are issued a unique, single-use coupon code. Grizzly used SheerID to create oﬀers for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veterans Day.
The military community responded very positively to these truly exclusive oﬀers. Extending the oﬀer to veterans as well as active duty and retirees expanded the oﬀers’ reach, however, it may have also increased the number of unqualiﬁed shoppers who tried to take advantage of the discount. Fortunately, SheerID prevented people from using the discounts fraudulently, which protected Grizzly Industrial’s margins.
- 17% of customers who tried to redeem one of the three promotional oﬀers did not qualify
- Nearly 50% of the customers who didn’t qualify claimed to be veterans
- Out of the veriﬁed military customers:
- 6% were active duty
- 22% were retirees
- 72% were veterans
These percentages were consistent across all three promotions.
- Only 22% of the military retirees who qualiﬁed for the oﬀer identiﬁed themselves as retirees. The vast majority identiﬁed as veterans.
- 47% of military personnel who shopped during the 4th of July summer sale did so on the 4th of July, compared to 5% and 7% who shopped on the actual holiday for the Memorial Day and Veterans Day promotions.
- Word spread within the military community, and Grizzly saw a 15% increase in interest between their ﬁrst sale and their third.
We are proud to offer a discount to military personnel and are grateful to SheerID for a seamless verification process which serves Grizzly and our customers with professional and timely customer service.
Melinda Sweet, Assistant Marketing Manager, Grizzly Industrial